BC Coastal Soccer League

Discussion in 'Youth Leagues & Cups' started by southsloper, Aug 25, 2017.

1. easoccer

easoccer Established Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 2
    Yup, schedule changed for us again as well. Going to play one team 2x, another 3x possibly 4x if we meet in cup. All within 2 months of season play. All the while we might not even meet teams for the 1st time until the new year. WTH are they doing? This is crazy.

2. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 7
    I wonder which cup format is best? The traditional style that D4 follows (cup play blended into league play, one-off games - is that how it is?) which the new BCCSL has adopted, or the D5 format that has adjusted over the years to its current format (now defunct of course). Last year D5 played a regular league schedule Sept-Dec. Then after Dec broke into group-play cup in groups of 6. Generally went ranked on league position. Group A 1-6, Group B 7-12 so on and so forth all the way down to Division 4. Every team then was placed in a group that had all teams competitive with each other, generally speaking (always 1 team wins and 1 team finishes last but for most part the teams were fairly competitive). Having played, and coached, in both cup styles - I definitely definitely prefer the District 5 final format. The teams played 5 group games. Teams that finished 1-2 in the group then played a final for 1st-2nd. So every team had meaningful games after Christmas.

Sure you played teams from your league, typically, a 2nd (or 3rd if you meet in the final) time but that's fine because it was a fresh start. You also got a chance to play new teams because leagues often had 12+ teams and often you didn't get 11-12 league games in - so there were plenty of teams in your league you never got to play even though they might have been within 1-3 league positions of you. You not got to see them in a cup. It created nice little rivalries as well.

District 5 did once have the random draw, sprinkled into league play. Teams were elimited from cup in the first month or so of the season - often creating a meaningless league season for them. Then they created round robin groups, again randomly, but you had meaningful games - and a "fresh" start in cup if your league season wasn't going well (or vice versa!). Then they switched to moving the cup after Christmas and ranking the teams as noted above. The final change was fantastic. Never heard a single complaint except for the overlap it had with District Cup games (they once tried to force my team to play both the district cup final and league cup final on the same day, in different cities, about 30 minutes apart.....and that was just the beginning of that huge mess!). But that didn't happen often to many teams. District cup games typically weren't until Feb-April.

I am glad I am not involved in BCCSL this year (or in the near future). It sounds like a royal mess!

3. easoccer

easoccer Established Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 2
    I don't have any problems with the league or cup format. Sure a round robin is a more friendly approach, but kmockout is acceptible.

At tiering they didn't need to change the schedule or standings. If a team moved up a bye is created or eliminated. If a lower team joins same thing. To redo the schedule and then repeat games is dumb. Then to announce a schedule then change it, and change it again, while also announcing cup with so many mistakes is not good management at all. I'm sure there must be some kind of infighting or disagreements going on to create so much confusion.

4. Coach Ian

Coach Ian Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I have been saying this ever since SPL has come about. Doesn't make sense having MSL . The idea of MSL was to take the top rated players. Once SPL came and took those top rated players, MSL wasn't taking just top rated players. They were also taking Silver and Bronze players to fill up their rosters. I had 3 of my players make a MSL team 2 of which were solid silver players and 1 that was more bronze than silver. It really makes MSL redundant.
    The only thing now is where are those players going to go? Are they going to go to their home clubs or are they going to stay with the clubs they are with now, and instead of the league being MSL, they will be gold by name and nothing has really changed, at which whats the point!
    Cheers,
    Ian

5. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 7
    They'll figure out a way to simply move the current MSL into the existing BCCSL schedule and identify it as the top tier....

BCSPL doesn't get all the top BCSPL players either. No league in BC ever will. BCSPL gets most of the top players though.

6. Coach Ian

Coach Ian Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Well here in vancouver, Vancouver FC is financially supported by all the clubs in vancouver through VYSA.
    Why would we want to support VFC to put a gold team on the pitch, when each club has several of their own?
    Cheers,
    Ian

7. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 7
    My guess is they'll rename all the divisions, and still have district-based teams at the top of the tier. I can't see, for example, Fraser Valley Selects disappearing.

8. GGMU

GGMU New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How would teams qualify for Boys B Cup Provincials?
    Heard there wont be BC Coastal Cup this year.

9. Coach Ian

Coach Ian Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Yes there will be, they did the draw for coastal cup 2 weeks ago!
    Not sure when the game will be scheduled though, must be soon.
    Cheers,
    Ian

10. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 7
    they did the coastal cup draw before they did the district cup playdowns?