BC Coastal Soccer League

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
I can see the reason for the mixed feelings. It’s disappointing to see things turn out this way. With the current season window, BCCSL is between a rock and a hard place, with season ending just before spring break and Coastal Cup starting immediately after the break. Add to that the fact that we’ve been “frozen out” literally for several weeks twice in the past couple years, and it’s plain to see that the season structure needs to change.

It's been about 4 of the last 5 years for sure. Last two years snow. Freezing cold the year before last (or two years before last?). Freezing cold again this year keeping the snow on the ground longer than usual. This will continue.

The season should not end at spring break. Coastal Cup doesn't need to end in May. Provincials aren't until July.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
It's not like this is a new thing for everyone in BC Soccer - February is traditionally our WORST month weather-wise, especially the last half dozen or so (climate change). At some point, someone smarter than me needs to pull a finger out and address this.

Exactly.

southsloper

Aug 25, 2015
BC Coastal Soccer League announced via a Dec. 15, 2020 memo on the league website, from Joe Basic, the BCCSL Chair on "structure" changes for the 2021/2022 season start.

In summary - reduced registrations & fewer U13 players with the increased number of BCSPL franchises at U13, BCCSL's U13 age level will drop from 4 divisions to 3 -- No more Metro, just Div 1/2/3. For current U14-U18 age groups, the Metro/Div 1/2/3 are "grandfathered" until the 2021/2022 U14's "graduate". A- & B-Cup tournaments will be affected with details to be confirmed.

Sep 6, 2017
I guess it's not a surprise. Declining enrollment is a thing, and the reasons for it are unfortunate. We have professionalized youth soccer to the point that players in U10-U12 drop like flies if they don't make the "development" leagues. We pay way too much attention to the top 10% of players and use their increasing fees to fund TDs and paid staff that give very little back to the recreational players. Soccer has become expensive, and lacking in fun for the kids. That, and the ever expanding levels of "elite" play where even more cash is needed to be any good deters better players. Other sports are just a lot more appealing.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I guess it's not a surprise. Declining enrollment is a thing, and the reasons for it are unfortunate. We have professionalized youth soccer to the point that players in U10-U12 drop like flies if they don't make the "development" leagues. We pay way too much attention to the top 10% of players and use their increasing fees to fund TDs and paid staff that give very little back to the recreational players. Soccer has become expensive, and lacking in fun for the kids. That, and the ever expanding levels of "elite" play where even more cash is needed to be any good deters better players. Other sports are just a lot more appealing.

I agree with all of this. In addition, there are way too many micro/youth coaches living their world cup triumphs every weekend. Too many children are sitting on the sidelines or pinned to single positions (against LTPD) while the coaches develop players they deem promising while the slow to develop kids don't play. This is so shortsighted as I have seen many slow starters move up while the kids who are treated like superstars drop out for other sports later on. The clubs should ensure fairness to all and not turn a blind eye due to lack of volunteers.

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
What is the solution to all this? Or is it too far gone that it isn't "fixable"?

Happy New Year BTW! :)

Back