Why do we put our kids through this?

Should the south coast youth soccer season be from September to March?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
You're right, training in freezing cold weather is not as conducive to improving one's game as playing in warmer weather. One excuse that I hear for us playing during the winter is competition for field time in other seasons but I don;t really buy this since other regions of the country manage.
Of course, if the main concern is our kids getting some exercise and bonding with new friends, then they can play anytime of the year.

Well, I agree. But, I think our higher level players should be put in leagues that run Spring-Summer-Fall. Our rec players that are out simply for fun and bonding can play in the colder months. The reason I say have a distinction is because the technical/tactical training for the higher level players is "more important." Thus, having better weather to train in is more conducive to a more technical type of training. I am sure this will be read as insensitive to the rec-minded player, but that's not what I am trying to get across.

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
Well, I agree. But, I think our higher level players should be put in leagues that run Spring-Summer-Fall. Our rec players that are out simply for fun and bonding can play in the colder months. The reason I say have a distinction is because the technical/tactical training for the higher level players is "more important." Thus, having better weather to train in is more conducive to a more technical type of training. I am sure this will be read as insensitive to the rec-minded player, but that's not what I am trying to get across.

I don't follow your logic. Why not let all players play when the weather is good? Anyone who wants to play more can go year-round. High-level players ALL start out as rec players.

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
I've never minded the cold, nor has my son. If you love the game, you play through anything.

The point is that a lot of kids, and especially their parents, DO mind the cold and rain. Is the goal to try and chase them away, or is it to keep kids playing soccer?

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
Parents not putting there kids in soccer because they dont want to stand in the rain annoy the heck out of me. Its about the kids not you, I have coached for 8 years and it is never the kid who chooses to stay home on a rainy day, its always the parent.
That said I personal think U6-U8 should exclusively Futsal Nov-Feb...and all ages shouldhave a futsal element to it during these months ....

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
My a daughter plays u7 this year. She has been in since u5. There wasnt a single rainy day that she didnt want to play.

That being said as a coach, it is almost always the parents who put way too much worry on the kids getting sick, bundle them so they cant move, etc.

WTF

Sep 3, 2015
The point is that a lot of kids, and especially their parents, DO mind the cold and rain. Is the goal to try and chase them away, or is it to keep kids playing soccer?

Totally agree with jmoulins comments , we have to take advantage of the great weather in the Lower Mainland during spring/summer

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
Did anyone else watch kids suffer through the blowing rain yesterday? There's absolutely no good reason to be playing at this time of year.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Parents not putting there kids in soccer because they dont want to stand in the rain annoy the heck out of me. Its about the kids not you, I have coached for 8 years and it is never the kid who chooses to stay home on a rainy day, its always the parent.
That said I personal think U6-U8 should exclusively Futsal Nov-Feb...and all ages shouldhave a futsal element to it during these months ....

Some of the younger kids out of newton are playing games in the indoor facility of of 152 this year.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Did anyone else watch kids suffer through the blowing rain yesterday? There's absolutely no good reason to be playing at this time of year.

Playing in November is fine. Changes year to year. But should not be any soccer in December-January. (or should be futsal)

Total -Base

Sep 25, 2016
Soccer over the winter is fine for kids ten and older. Kids under ten should be indoor playing five v five on High school floors or a complex made for indoor soccer. Young kids shot off from the cold and most ca not play or learn if it is cold and wet.
We over-try here with development, lots of kids quit due to cold and rain.
In my opinion soccer here should be way more on development and less going from club to club to play their teams. There is no need for club play till u 12 in my opinion. Close door development with paid coaches to teach the skill would do ten folds better for kids development.
Way more kids would stick with soccer.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Soccer over the winter is fine for kids ten and older. Kids under ten should be indoor playing five v five on High school floors or a complex made for indoor soccer. Young kids shot off from the cold and most ca not play or learn if it is cold and wet.
We over-try here with development, lots of kids quit due to cold and rain.
In my opinion soccer here should be way more on development and less going from club to club to play their teams. There is no need for club play till u 12 in my opinion. Close door development with paid coaches to teach the skill would do ten folds better for kids development.
Way more kids would stick with soccer.

10 and over?

Tell that to the 11 year old who is 60 pounds soaking wet, can't feel his fingers and toes, and then expect that kid to learn. You said it yourself "lots of kids quit due to cold and rain." Well you think this doesn't apply to 10 year olds??

Up to and including u13 I agree - leagues should be minor with respect to develop. I have been promoting a scrapping of the one-game "traditional" league schedule for all kids up to that age. Arrange jamborees every 2nd week. bring together 3-4 clubs to one location. Short games (20-30 minutes) with playing time rules. Kids get massive benefit in a one-day experience, then get the next weekend off (or the clubs can use that off weekend for a one-off friendly). Families would love it because the kid gets the soccer experience, and the family gets the family experience.

All kids up to about age 13-14 should be playing futsal as a league requirement in the winter months. Have a couple of futsal centres and arrange festivals bringing all the clubs together to a couple central locations.

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
But where does it stop?

Hey, I know a 48 year-old who doesn't play anymore because he can't stand the cold and wet.

:)

rich

Aug 20, 2015
I know a 48 year old who doesn't play anymore because the field slopes uphill in whatever direction he's running. And by running, I mean "trying not die whilst dragging his fat ass up and down the pitch"

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
Hi all. I'm new to this forum and while this is my 7th season coaching my kids teams, I've been pretty much insulated from the greater BC Soccer community. I'm sure the topic I'm about to raise has been discussed many times in many venues, including this one. If there's an existing thread that makes this one redundant, please point me to it. But can someone explain to me why we on the south coast make our kids play soccer through the only 4 months of the season that aren't suitable for soccer?
How can we make our 6 and 7 year olds come out and play on frozen gravel fields in November and December and then force them to choose between playing hockey or soccer?
After my U14 boys game today, the ref came by to tell us not to bother shaking hands with the other team because everyone was too wet and cold. From experience, I know that it's only going to get worse until the merciful Christmas break, and then in March at the end of this annual death march we'll all ask "Why doesn't the season start now"?

I've lots more to say about this, but can someone who's been around longer explain why our soccer season is in the winter?

I strongly support playing from March 1 to Sept 31 with a break all July to allow for family vacations .

2nd option - Short season from Sept 1 to Dec 1 and start again from Feb 1 and continue til May 1 .

rich

Aug 20, 2015
From a strictly personal, selfish view point - my kids don't play. I don't want to waste sunny summer weekends dealing with other people's kids. I want to go camping, hiking, to the beach, etc with my boys. What the hell else would get me out of the house on a rainy November weekend if it wasn't to coach?

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
From a strictly personal, selfish view point - my kids don't play. I don't want to waste sunny summer weekends dealing with other people's kids. I want to go camping, hiking, to the beach, etc with my boys. What the hell else would get me out of the house on a rainy November weekend if it wasn't to coach?

The BCSPL has a good calendar. In a 3-tier "competitive" structure (ie, BCSPL 1-2-3, replacing MSL and Gold) you can change the season to match the current BCSPL calendar. The rest of the soccer world (ie, non-competitive) can remain on the current winter calendar if they wish.

People talk about field availability.

I maintain, where there's a will there's a way.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
BCSPL only makes up a tiny % of all youth players in BC yet the playing season calendar was changed for them and it should be changed for the rest of the youth players as well .
Due to the rain most of the grass fields in Surrey are closed for this weekend = lots of cancelled games .

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
Playing in November is fine. Changes year to year. But should not be any soccer in December-January. (or should be futsal)
Sorry, but it doesn't change year to year. Novembers are brutal. The first weekend of December has been the coldest point of every soccer season since I started coaching 8 seasons ago. It'll stay cold and wet through January, then we'll have one, maybe two nice weekends in February. Then, in March we'll have a game where it's sunny and 18 degrees and parents who've stuck around that long will will ask why THAT isn't the start of soccer season. Then a month later, all the East Van kids who played hockey or xBox over the winter will come out and have a blast playing Microfootie at Empire field and Britannia.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Some years November is great, other years November is disgusting. I remember one year when ever weekend the entire season was wonderful - sunny, no rain. Literally, every weekend. It was incredible. I remember other years where it's so cold they have to cancel games even though it was clear. It definitely varies.

Some years march is 18 degrees and wonderful, other years we get a few feet of snow. Some years June is rainy and cold, other years it's 25 degrees.

I think a standard Feb-Nov season for all competitive levels is reasonable.

Back