Why do we put our kids through this?

Should the south coast youth soccer season be from September to March?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
Question: Do youth teams only train outdoors now in the winter or are there indoor sessions in a local school gym?

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Usually only micro and possibly up to u11/12 if someone trades a turf spot for a gym spot. I believe that SFC also has a futsal program that is used for optional training at the younger ages.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
@LFC

As a committee/executive member of the USSL, what has made that league such a success? Is it due to the seasons it is played in with no other competing 'set-ups' or something else?

There is not doubt in my mind that SFC and CCB players have benefitted greatly due to the summer soccer. All you have to do is look at the standings and you will find many of the teams at the top. That is not to say there aren't political issues surrounding it, but the players do benefit from playing year around. My team is not elite, but we play in the summer, and it is very noticeable when we play in other district tournaments at the same level. Plus there is a huge volume of players involved.

There are teams that poach, there are teams that bring in ringers, but for me, I keep the players on my team year around which helps alot with developement, and it allows me to bring in fresh new players, maybe even players who have never played before, and get them going.

I know there is a league in Langley (8v8) but I'm not sure of the quality or the benefit that players who should be playing 11v11 get from it. Maybe someone who is involved there can chime in.

WTF

Sep 3, 2015
I would debate if 'summer soccer' has been a success, its the route of all the problems with soccer in the Newton area, power, control . money. win at all cost mentality, poaching, kids playing on several teams, there is nothing i have seen that says it a positive experience. Certainly anti current LTPD models. Serves the needs of a few not the many. Plus the top team from winter don't usually participate ...

The USSL for players from U5 to U12 has been well organized with generally very few problems. Its definitely been a big success and an enjoyable experience for most players and any problems that arose in Newton this year should not be connected to the USSL.

LauraH

Aug 28, 2015
There is not doubt in my mind that SFC and CCB players have benefitted greatly due to the summer soccer. All you have to do is look at the standings and you will find many of the teams at the top. That is not to say there aren't political issues surrounding it, but the players do benefit from playing year around. My team is not elite, but we play in the summer, and it is very noticeable when we play in other district tournaments at the same level. Plus there is a huge volume of players involved.

There are teams that poach, there are teams that bring in ringers, but for me, I keep the players on my team year around which helps alot with developement, and it allows me to bring in fresh new players, maybe even players who have never played before, and get them going.

I know there is a league in Langley (8v8) but I'm not sure of the quality or the benefit that players who should be playing 11v11 get from it. Maybe someone who is involved there can chime in.
Curious as to why it isn't sanctioned?

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Again, it's a matter of politics. Which I'd rather steer clear of since I am not involved other than as coach.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
@LFC

As a committee/executive member of the USSL, what has made that league such a success? Is it due to the seasons it is played in with no other competing 'set-ups' or something else?
There are several factors in the success of the USSL league played mostly in Surrey :
Brilliant weather
Competitive games
Low cost
Great turf & grass fields for games & training in Surrey

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
There are several factors in the success of the USSL league played mostly in Surrey :
Brilliant weather
Competitive games
Low cost
Great turf & grass fields for games & training in Surrey
Sounds like a winning formula. That's how I'd describe 4D boys season so far. Good, competitive games on good-to-great (mostly turf) fields. Low cost too. One way to improve it would be to move the games to any months other than Nov-Feb. Do that, and I bet we'd see a surge in participation at all levels with a corresponding increase in talent at the top levels as elite young athletes could realistically play soccer and hockey for a few years before deciding which to pursue.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
It could have the opposite effect as well as I know many players play floor hockey in the early spring and baseball/softball in the later spring/summer.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
Unless you have players that play soccer year round - and I encourage my players not to - then the brick wall this convo runs into is baseball. I can't get players to pre-season training because I have a lot of competitive baseball players on the roster. Lacrosse takes another group away. Never mind the availability of fields.

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
True, there's always going to be conflict with other sports. At this time of year, the conflict is with rugby, football, skiing and especially hockey. Don't see how conflict in any way justifies forcing kids to play soccer through the winter. I'm not convinced field availability is a major issue. Just through sheer numbers of players involved, you'd think other sports would be bending to accommodate the soccer season.

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
Sorry to harp on this, but this might explain where I'm coming from.

After an especially cold practice last winter, a frigid group of parents and coaches were talking while waiting for their kids. A member of our club, also a Board member with BC soccer, approached and asked if we had any ideas on what BCS might do to improve the game.

One of the parents suggested half-jokingly that he move the games indoors. Someone else suggested he move the season to the spring, which everyone agreed to. The board member's response was to laugh along and ask, "no really, what can we do? More coaching clinics?" He seemed annoyed at the thought of moving the season.
I can't understand that.

Our club had games and practices canceled due to the rain this week. We're sure to have more cancelations in the next three months. It's not an aberration; it happens every year.

In 7 years coaching spring soccer, I can remember one practice cancelled because of lightning.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
3rd week in a row where most of the fields in surrey are closed. So far worst wearther in several years.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
So much for our "Dry, cold" winter forecast...

We've had two games rained out, luckily enough we were able to make them up, one on Remembrance Day, and the other we moved from Surrey to Ladner, where we had a good field.

@jmoulins - you said "I'm not convinced field availability is a major issue. Just through sheer numbers of players involved, you'd think other sports would be bending to accommodate the soccer season."

I don't know where you coach, but believe me, in South Delta, field availability is a major issue. Baseball playoffs force a two week delay in our U6-7 jamborees. Numbers of kids playing doesn't seem to change the fact that soccer is not the big player at the table, compared to other sports.

jmoulins

Nov 7, 2015
So much for our "Dry, cold" winter forecast...

We've had two games rained out, luckily enough we were able to make them up, one on Remembrance Day, and the other we moved from Surrey to Ladner, where we had a good field.

@jmoulins - you said "I'm not convinced field availability is a major issue. Just through sheer numbers of players involved, you'd think other sports would be bending to accommodate the soccer season."

I don't know where you coach, but believe me, in South Delta, field availability is a major issue. Baseball playoffs force a two week delay in our U6-7 jamborees. Numbers of kids playing doesn't seem to change the fact that soccer is not the big player at the table, compared to other sports.

I'm in Vancouver. We play home games on soccer-only turf exclusively now. Our grass fields are unplayable in soccer season. I can only think of one mixed-use field in Richmond where we've played a road game this season or last.

noee

Nov 17, 2015
I just received a survey from our club, basically asking if there would be intrest in Friday games.

With the lost games due to grass closure, I thought this would be a great option.

Thoughts?

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
The simple fact summer soccer in Surrey is as large as it is, and the fact there are many other spring leagues popping up supports the fact that field allocation with other sports come summer is not a problem. There are many dedicated fields around , there are 12 turf fields used for soccer and some field hockey in Surrey alone. Countless other grass fields. ( 11 of which are dedicated summer soccer fields)
I think that argument comes from people who play other spring sports , mainly baseball. Where soccer is their second choice sport.

There is so much fact / science around the negative effects of playing one sport year round, you don't need to play year round to compete, playing multiple sports at different times develops a more rounded athlete.

noee

Nov 17, 2015
I just received a survey from our club, basically asking if there would be intrest in Friday games.

With the lost games due to grass closure, I thought this would be a great option.

Thoughts?

Should mention this was sent to the U13 and up families.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
From what I always understood, Friday through Sunday was always an option and your team was obligated to play an away game if scheduled regardless of which of those days were chosen.

This season is such a mess I would advocate playing on any day of the week to get caught up at this point.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
The simple fact summer soccer in Surrey is as large as it is, and the fact there are many other spring leagues popping up supports the fact that field allocation with other sports come summer is not a problem. There are many dedicated fields around , there are 12 turf fields used for soccer and some field hockey in Surrey alone. Countless other grass fields. ( 11 of which are dedicated summer soccer fields)
I think that argument comes from people who play other spring sports , mainly baseball. Where soccer is their second choice sport.

There is so much fact / science around the negative effects of playing one sport year round, you don't need to play year round to compete, playing multiple sports at different times develops a more rounded athlete.

In relation to Year round play and taking part in other sports, most information is based on potential career/high level athletes who are tempted into specializing too early. This Information certainly is less relevant to those practicing 2 hours per week with a game on the weekend. Nothing in that material says you shouldn't play year round as long as you find some time for other athletic pursuits.

Many players I coach are also involved In basketball, floor hockey or baseball.

Regardless I'd support my kids in whatever they would chose. Anything promoting less screen time is a win in my book.

Back