When do the seasons start?

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
Looking for some help here...

Does the Boys high school soccer season take place in the Fall with the Girls playing in the Spring?

juninho

Aug 25, 2015
I'm thinking of helping out with one of the local high school teams, so when I find out more about start dates for the boys I'll let you know.

Regs

Liverpool 24/7
Staff member
Jun 23, 2015
On the boys side, it looks like Single A, Double A and Triple A all have their BC Championships the weekend of November 25-27 so all district games would be played before then

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
My son goes to Princess Margaret. The older teams had tryouts within the last week, my sons Gr 8 tryouts are Tomorrow. Several of my players go to Tamanawis and they are also going through tryouts.

A.K.

Sep 6, 2016
If there are going to have it in the fall then they should not have league soccer at the same time. That's how they do it in the US. Let school soccer finish in 6 weeks or so and then the finals. Then let the league start. Otherwise, it's really conflicting.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
If there are going to have it in the fall then they should not have league soccer at the same time. That's how they do it in the US. Let school soccer finish in 6 weeks or so and then the finals. Then let the league start. Otherwise, it's really conflicting.

I actually agree with this. The kids want to play for their schools, with their friends. Postpone the start of league play and have it end in March/April instead of February.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
The problem is that school teams select very few players. The highest calibre they can get. Where does that leave the other 90% of players? I could honestly care less about high school soccer as majority should rule. That is unless the delay of the season allowed more tiers, but I'd assume they couldnt due to staff, field allocations and other costs.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
Problem with extending the club season is that after spring break, baseball and other spring / summer sports start to take all of the field allocations. Soccer needs to be wrapped up completely by the end of March.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Problem with extending the club season is that after spring break, baseball and other spring / summer sports start to take all of the field allocations. Soccer needs to be wrapped up completely by the end of March.

except it isn't - loads of soccer is played still. district and coastal cup. girls high school. spring academy. difficult for all.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
except it isn't - loads of soccer is played still. district and coastal cup. girls high school. spring academy. difficult for all.

A few cup games don't take the field space that normally is used. Some high schools use their own fields, and academy is usually one day / week or one week.

April 1 (in Delta at least) is new allocation season - baseball and field hockey get much larger pieces of what seems to be an ever shrinking pie...

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
A few cup games don't take the field space that normally is used. Some high schools use their own fields, and academy is usually one day / week or one week.

April 1 (in Delta at least) is new allocation season - baseball and field hockey get much larger pieces of what seems to be an ever shrinking pie...
The community I am in has access in spring to numerous soccer-specific fields though I recognize that not all communities have that.

What academy is one-day/week in spring? I was referring to tournament teams. Any I've known have been 2-3-4 days/week.

rich

Aug 20, 2015
Ah, I was thinking camps, that kind of thing. We run week long camps in Spring and summer.
The small handful of our teams that play in spring leagues (we don't host spring programs) rarely even train, so in April - July we use a very small fraction of of the field space that we would in August - March.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Ah, I was thinking camps, that kind of thing. We run week long camps in Spring and summer.
The small handful of our teams that play in spring leagues (we don't host spring programs) rarely even train, so in April - July we use a very small fraction of of the field space that we would in August - March.

Every spring I am surprised how few clubs run spring programs. Chilliwack has a pretty good one been running the last 5-6 years. Private academies, some teams still in Coastal cup, but otherwise it's slim pickings.

4_the_kids

Oct 20, 2015
Every spring I am surprised how few clubs run spring programs. Chilliwack has a pretty good one been running the last 5-6 years. Private academies, some teams still in Coastal cup, but otherwise it's slim pickings.
Spring /Summer soccer has been largely the USSL and USSA or whatever they called these day, at least in Surrey and Delta areas. There are growing programs at Coastal, Surrey United , West Coast has hosted a spring league past few years as well that clubs from Surrey, Langley , Abbotsford, Mission , Maple ridge , Delta have participated in.
More and more I am moving away from the year round mentality, I think kids need to be playing other sports. So go play lacrosse or baseball or whatever for the spring/ early summer. Take the rest of summer off ,go on a family vacation , go play whatever - no soccer for 4 weeks. Come mid Aug time to start up again..

rich

Aug 20, 2015
More and more I am moving away from the year round mentality, I think kids need to be playing other sports. So go play lacrosse or baseball or whatever for the spring/ early summer. Take the rest of summer off ,go on a family vacation , go play whatever - no soccer for 4 weeks. Come mid Aug time to start up again..

Agree, and not just about the kids...coaches need a break as well. Need to refresh, recharge, and renew their enthusiasm.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Spring /Summer soccer has been largely the USSL and USSA or whatever they called these day, at least in Surrey and Delta areas. There are growing programs at Coastal, Surrey United , West Coast has hosted a spring league past few years as well that clubs from Surrey, Langley , Abbotsford, Mission , Maple ridge , Delta have participated in.

Summer break, yes. But those spring programs tend to all be done before school is over.

Rec players definitely need a break. Kids who want to play university can't really afford much time off.

Back