Rumour Round Up

soccer mom

Sep 26, 2015
SMSA merging with Delta Dist should make issues/decisions more transparent and BC Soccer should step in make this merger happen. Delta Dist is organized and well run and there,s hardly ever any problems there.

Surrey clubs split up /form clubs constantly yet in South Surrey/Delta areas the clubs are joining together amicably for the better development of soccer .

Vancouver United joined BC Tigers & CCB 2-3 yrs ago , then moved to Surrey Youth [SFC] last year and now applying to become a fall club !!!

There is so much turbulence in Surrey soccer

soccer mom

Sep 26, 2015
funny you say there are no problems in Delta District, The President of NDYSC was suspended from all soccer related activities for a very lengthy 10 months. Unprecedented lengthy suspension for a guy that served on that board for over 10 years. Delta District and NDYSC swept it under the carpet and even its own members were lied to as to why he was stepping down. So there are problems there too.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
funny you say there are no problems in Delta District, The President of NDYSC was suspended from all soccer related activities for a very lengthy 10 months. Unprecedented lengthy suspension for a guy that served on that board for over 10 years. Delta District and NDYSC swept it under the carpet and even its own members were lied to as to why he was stepping down. So there are problems there too.

10 months is unprecedented? Didn't the Langley president get a few years?

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
Who knows - does he have a twitter account? BC Soccer was on a warpath the last 12 months or so and threatening to suspend people in the soccer community for tweeting not-so-kind-to-BC-Soccer tweets

soccer mom

Sep 26, 2015
Rumour is the delta president mcgrandle created havoc at an agm and as a result it cost the club 1/4 million dollars in legal fees and such and the gaming grant was pulled from the club. He wouldn't allow members to vote on key issues. All designed to keep him as president even though he hasn't had kids in the club for years. Ego driven.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Who knows - does he have a twitter account? BC Soccer was on a warpath the last 12 months or so and threatening to suspend people in the soccer community for tweeting not-so-kind-to-BC-Soccer tweets

lol it's also for posts here or Take The Piss ;) any social media etc online remarks negative about BCSA #1984

I think the intent on the part of BCSA re: negative posts is bringing the community together to be positive, supportive, and solution-focused, not just ripping people because you can. If that's BCSA's goal for these rules, I agree with them.

But 10 months for negative comments on twitter? I can't see that happening. No clue if the ND prez had or has twitter.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Rumour is the delta president mcgrandle created havoc at an agm and as a result it cost the club 1/4 million dollars in legal fees and such and the gaming grant was pulled from the club. He wouldn't allow members to vote on key issues. All designed to keep him as president even though he hasn't had kids in the club for years. Ego driven.

if accurate, 10 months seems too short.

Jenn

Mar 31, 2016

I'd like to know more about this. My son's play at North Delta and my husband is an assistant coach. My husband was at the AGM last spring and he said it was chaos. My husband wasn't allowed to vote (he has in the past because he is a coach). No one at the club will comment on what happened or what is going on. There are a lot of rumors but nobody seems to want to confirm anything. I have heard there were legal issues and the club was being investigated but again no one will confirm anything. At this point in time I am thinking of taking my boys somewhere else for next season.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
I'd like to know more about this. My son's play at North Delta and my husband is an assistant coach. My husband was at the AGM last spring and he said it was chaos. My husband wasn't allowed to vote (he has in the past because he is a coach). No one at the club will comment on what happened or what is going on. There are a lot of rumors but nobody seems to want to confirm anything. I have heard there were legal issues and the club was being investigated but again no one will confirm anything. At this point in time I am thinking of taking my boys somewhere else for next season.

What was the reason your husband wasn't allowed to vote? Parents should qualify as members...?

Jenn

Mar 31, 2016
What was the reason your husband wasn't allowed to vote? Parents should qualify as members...?

I am not sure. It was never really explained. They brought in someone who wasn't a member of the club (she had been in the past) and she had a list and if your name wasn't on the list you couldn't vote. Unfortunately they didn't have all assistant coaches names on the list so there were people who were not allowed to vote. According to my husband there was a lot of arguing about who could and could not vote and then they fired their General Manager at the meeting by vote. He says it seems like only "the right" people were given voting cards.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
I am not sure. It was never really explained. They brought in someone who wasn't a member of the club (she had been in the past) and she had a list and if your name wasn't on the list you couldn't vote. Unfortunately they didn't have all assistant coaches names on the list so there were people who were not allowed to vote. According to my husband there was a lot of arguing about who could and could not vote and then they fired their General Manager at the meeting by vote. He says it seems like only "the right" people were given voting cards.

Check the club constitution to see who qualifies to vote. Then compare that with the Society Act to see if the club's constitution is correct. Or contact BCSA. BCSA is not responsible for policing clubs constitution but they are there to help clubs be in-line with the Society Act. (there's a web page on the BCSA site that helps clubs - and I assume a contact person). Typically one vote per family (so if a parent has 2+ kids they still only get one vote and not both parents in a family), every volunteer (not sure if refs count as volunteers), and of course the board members themselves can vote. Some clubs allow players of a certain age to vote.

Jenn

Mar 31, 2016
Check the club constitution to see who qualifies to vote. Then compare that with the Society Act to see if the club's constitution is correct. Or contact BCSA. BCSA is not responsible for policing clubs constitution but they are there to help clubs be in-line with the Society Act. (there's a web page on the BCSA site that helps clubs - and I assume a contact person). Typically one vote per family (so if a parent has 2+ kids they still only get one vote and not both parents in a family), every volunteer (not sure if refs count as volunteers), and of course the board members themselves can vote. Some clubs allow players of a certain age to vote.

According to my husband there was a guy there with the constitution and the societies act but the President had his own interpretation and said only coaches, managers and board members could vote and he said his say was final. I have heard the district or whoever is in charge suspended him for that and the way the meeting was run. (I am not postive, rumor)

LauraH

Aug 28, 2015
A very quick Google search shows North Delta Youth will be providing a new and updated Constitution at their AGM later this month. So does that mean voting is going to run according to the old Constitution for this year? You need to read through current one to know who is/isn't entitled to vote.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
From what's being described here the President (and the board) probably thought they were doing things the right way. When someone figured out what was going on, the President then received consequences for that (suspension). Now the Board appears to have learned the error of their ways and is correcting the mistake by proposing an updated constitution. This is not unusual for board's, especially volunteer ones. Not everyone knows all the rules. But, what is important is they learned. The tricky part is that the Society Act is being updated (apparently quite significantly) this year.

CanadianSpur

Feb 11, 2016
I took a quick read of the North Delta constitution as it pertains to membership and voting and it appears that it might not comply with the Societies Act in that in makes parents non voting members. I believe the Act provides that non-voting members cannot account for more than 25% of the total off all members and I would suspect that parents of North Delta players far outnumber the voting members.

Jenn

Mar 31, 2016
From what's being described here the President (and the board) probably thought they were doing things the right way. When someone figured out what was going on, the President then received consequences for that (suspension). Now the Board appears to have learned the error of their ways and is correcting the mistake by proposing an updated constitution. This is not unusual for board's, especially volunteer ones. Not everyone knows all the rules. But, what is important is they learned. The tricky part is that the Society Act is being updated (apparently quite significantly) this year.

From what I understand many members of the board were as upset by the fact people were not allowed to vote and as surprised by it as the coaches and other volunteers were. In the past any member who showed up to an AGM was given voting rights, my husband voted other years when he has gone. I want to think they were trying to do the right thing but from accounts I have heard of that meeting it doesn't sound like it. It is unfortunate that one person (president) can decide for a whole club who can and can't vote. To me it doesn't speak of doing whats right but more of doing what they want. If they were trying to do the right thing would the board not have been on his side?

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
From what I understand many members of the board were as upset by the fact people were not allowed to vote and as surprised by it as the coaches and other volunteers were. In the past any member who showed up to an AGM was given voting rights, my husband voted other years when he has gone. I want to think they were trying to do the right thing but from accounts I have heard of that meeting it doesn't sound like it. It is unfortunate that one person (president) can decide for a whole club who can and can't vote. To me it doesn't speak of doing whats right but more of doing what they want. If they were trying to do the right thing would the board not have been on his side?

Only those who were there can know, I suppose.

I know if I had a child in a club and myself or the child's other parent couldn't vote I'd be leaving that club.

Back