BCSPL Franchise @ NAP - Pros/Cons ?

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
Now that we have 5-6 winter clubs in Newton , maybe BCSPL will hand out a Franchise as the combined Newton clubs would field competitive teams at every age level ! :)
Need to be positive and maybe the dream of a NAP based BCSPL club might come true

With 6 clubs combining i would choose the following name - NEWTON FC :D

Maybe prove they can work together in the current set-up before asking for BCSPL. Just a thought.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I heard they will be imposing the 3 player movement limit on teams. So no more nomads in the near future.

socceroo

Sep 21, 2015
As for FV BCSPL - the organization is methodically and strategically strengthening their BC SPL program with logically locating their practices to meet the needs of its players.

I live here so I see kids player here and notice mostly Surrey players shopping for their kids bcspl prestige.

As for LFCFAN's Newton United BCSPL - the dust at Newton needs to settle over next couple years before any aspiration.

There are still couple summer clubs wanting winter or BC Soccer affiliation. Rumour is GN is in making and Akal is tossing coin with Pacific United FC and Central City Breakers

So if I was BC Soccer and being an outside guy looking in. Next 2 years plus Club Charter Program before BCSPL talks.

Surrey and Delta are merging , so the rules and guideline and boundaries will be all new. I hope Surrey and Delta folks learn from history and with assistance of BC Soccer come up with kids first type guidelines and rules. At the end of the day I don't think district or clubs can force a child to play in a specific club. There have been nomad coaches or teams but it is best to not accommodate nomad coaches and teams. But clubs are driven by numbers and thus come my way the grass is greener seems to make those nomad teams happy for few months.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
There is alot of talent at NAP but due to so many new clubs forming& fighting over players ,dirty politics etc , that talent in not being nurtured & developed properly.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
Because Newton doesn't have a BCSPL franchise , these talented players end up going to the 3 nearest BCSPL clubs :

These 2 clubs are the first choice destinations:
SU
COASTAL

Left overs or those player/parents who don,t get their way end up @ Fraser Valley based in Langley [ smart move by them moving the franchise next door to Surrey]

There,s lots of movement of Newton players between the above 3 clubs and if all else fails some of these prestige seeking parents will enroll their Gold level kid at Fusion FC :rolleyes:

Last edited:

socceroo

Sep 21, 2015
So Newton folks needs to fix the newton issues first before spl.

After seeing so much fragmentation,my guess is there may be only 10% of total Newton player pool that are BCSpl calibre.

As for your statement: "There is alot of talent at NAP but due to so many new clubs forming& fighting over players ,dirty politics etc , that talent in not being nurtured & developed properly"

Let Coastal, SU and FV take care of elites. They are better structured and systematized as of today.

TKBC

Established Member
Aug 21, 2015
As for FV BCSPL - the organization is methodically and strategically strengthening their BC SPL program with logically locating their practices to meet the needs of its players.

I live here so I see kids player here and notice mostly Surrey players shopping for their kids bcspl prestige.

As for LFCFAN's Newton United BCSPL - the dust at Newton needs to settle over next couple years before any aspiration.

There are still couple summer clubs wanting winter or BC Soccer affiliation. Rumour is GN is in making and Akal is tossing coin with Pacific United FC and Central City Breakers

So if I was BC Soccer and being an outside guy looking in. Next 2 years plus Club Charter Program before BCSPL talks.

Surrey and Delta are merging , so the rules and guideline and boundaries will be all new. I hope Surrey and Delta folks learn from history and with assistance of BC Soccer come up with kids first type guidelines and rules. At the end of the day I don't think district or clubs can force a child to play in a specific club. There have been nomad coaches or teams but it is best to not accommodate nomad coaches and teams. But clubs are driven by numbers and thus come my way the grass is greener seems to make those nomad teams happy for few months.

Well said. Indeed, before any changes/additions/removals to BCSPL clubs have to show a period of stability and compliance with Standard Charter.

Re: FVP - the only issue I have with it being in Langley is the access for most FV-based kids is difficult. Placing a FV team in one end or the other of the Valley suggests the clubs top priority is not FV-based kids/families, but rather trying to attract kids from Surrey, White Rock, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge.

I believe any FV-specific club should be in Abbotsford or better yet, Aldergrove.

I do understand why it's in Langley for now though.

southsloper

Aug 25, 2015
4 years later...

Surrey FC’s arrival in BC Premier League brings high-performance soccer to Newton
The 12-member BCSPL also includes Surrey United, based at Cloverdale Athletic Park

Surrey FC will join the BC Soccer Premier League (BCSPL) starting in September 2021, bringing high-level games and training to the club’s home turf at Newton Athletic Park.

...click on link to read the article:
Surrey FC’s arrival in BC Premier League brings high-performance soccer to Newton - Surrey Now-Leader

Sep 6, 2017
4 years later...

And we now have the Metro league redux. Watering down the BCSPL won't help player development. There are now two teams in Langley, two in Surrey, two in Richmond, and if you live in Vancouver you can go to any one of 5 teams within easy driving distance. I don't see how this is going to end well, especially given the high cost of play. This thread complained about how good players weren't getting a chance, well, now bad players with money will just to fill out a team's roster.

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
I've heard that FVP is possibly disbanding and LUSA is going to be picking up some of the teams? Not sure if that is true but it is one big mess.

Sep 6, 2017
I've heard that FVP is possibly disbanding and LUSA is going to be picking up some of the teams? Not sure if that is true but it is one big mess.

You heard right. The club's BCSPL license was suspended and they were ordered to contact players, issue refunds, and turn their existing SPL teams over to LUSA. Looks like they folded up the shop instead. The Preston GM website, facebook, and twitter are all deleted. Kinda shitty the way they are handling it. Players and families can't even contact the club anymore. BC Soccer has to step in and clean this mess up.

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
Yeah, that is not cool.

I sense some legal action coming up, if not already started.

Back