Is Futsal really needed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Legend, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Legend

Legend Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 3
    I want to know people's opinion on futsal and what it brings to the table for youth development!

2. easoccer

easoccer Established Member

Ratings:
    +267 / 2
    In u11/u12 my team played futsal 1x per week. They showed a big improvement in foot skills.

I think its great.

3. CoastalGunner

CoastalGunner Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    It's suggested that it improves reaction time and develops additional ball skills.
    Our U11s will be supplementing their training with it this season.
    Other teams in our club have reported good results.

4. rich

rich Active Member

Ratings:
    +150 / 0
    Futsal is great. The difference in the ball promotes quicker foot skills and decision making. We use a futsal ball every now and then, even with U16's. Our club provides futsal balls to all the micro kids who train inside.

If it can be incorporated into training...do it!

5. WV1977

WV1977 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I'll preface my first ever post by saying I grew up learning and playing the game in a European country / development system.
    I would agree that if it can be incorporated into training it should be. In Europe (as in with countries such as Brazil) there arent many "big grass fields"; rather small cement courts where 5v5 is the common play. It improves quick decision making, short passing, & movement without the ball. I'm also a fan of moving to a system of 6v6 or 7v7 in the 8-9 year old level as we have done in BC. This has been a staple in Europe for 30 years. A child technical ability (and his/her touch) doesn't improve to level it should when you play big pitch 11v11 and you have acres of grass to run on to

-the hardest thing to do...is to play simply soccer

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Metro Dad

Metro Dad Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 1
    Aside from improving foot skills and quick release, kids of all ages love it. It makes a great change in the middle of a rainy soccer season.

7. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +134 / 7
    I believe BCSA should create a futsal league that mirrors the outdoor league. Same leagues and districts, but smaller divisions. This is of course because futsal has smaller teams. Attach the football league to the outdoor season - find someway to make the futsal league legit (related to cups some how?) and make it a requirement for clubs to enter (or if they choose not to they can't enter cup maybe??) - have it run December-January.

8. ABBYSOCDAD

ABBYSOCDAD Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I think it improves foot skills and is fun, so why not. My kid really seems to enjoy it.

9. 4_the_kids

4_the_kids Active Member

Ratings:
    +131 / 3
    I agree, run regular soccer fall season Sept to Nov. Futsal during winter Dec to Feb. Then Spring soccer March to end May with cup finals in June. After fall season teams can be re-tiered for spring season...
    This way for those who want it indoor Futsal is available through the winter, and we don't deal with playing outdoors during the winter months. If you don't want to do futsal you can explore other winter sports like basketball perhaps.. This would also have less conflict with hockey.

10. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +134 / 7
    Agreed - so many teams end their season in February. It makes no sense!

11. Legend

Legend Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 3
    I've given this post ten weeks to build comments after my initial question. I know the answer already but as I always do on here. Asking a question to gauge others opinions and comments. I personally have my own answer to this topic.

Here are the facts people: across the world in the soccer nations that are leaders in youth development either directly or indirectly use futsal. Research the FACTS of what futsal does for development. Its not a theory but fact. If your kid is not playing futsal at least once per week, especially in the winter than he isn't being exposed to the proper material. Not to mention 9 out of 10 kids will either say that they enjoy the futsal equally or more than the outdoor game.