Evaluation, selection and making changes afterwards

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
I was wondering what your stance is on changing a player after selection and registration has taken place.

Player 1 is dedicated. Shows up to practices and games. Rarely misses.

Player 2 is a new registration but is clearly better. But there is no history with the player.

Select or development team. Selections were made. Player 1 was on the team. New player arrives. As a coach you see the new player and of course you want the best squad. But player 1 has come to every game, practice team function, etc. They are both young so potential is unknown.

Would you make the change? Based on skill alone. Based on dedication? Morally?

CanadianSpur

Feb 11, 2016
I think it depends on the what was communicated at the initial selection. was it understood that a player can be dropped/replaced. If a club wants to go down the route of allowing players to be dropped then that position needs to be clear to all concerned at the beginning.

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Who would go for that? I'd rather my kid play in house than be dropped from a team in the middle of a season. Leave a space or two and assign a player you are not sure of to a lower team and then permit up if needed. But to hold on to a player, providing false promises, while looking for another just seems wrong to me.

LFC

Aug 23, 2015
I was wondering what your stance is on changing a player after selection and registration has taken place.

Player 1 is dedicated. Shows up to practices and games. Rarely misses.

Player 2 is a new registration but is clearly better. But there is no history with the player.

Select or development team. Selections were made. Player 1 was on the team. New player arrives. As a coach you see the new player and of course you want the best squad. But player 1 has come to every game, practice team function, etc. They are both young so potential is unknown.

Would you make the change? Based on skill alone. Based on dedication? Morally?

This is happening regularly and at Newton with 6 winter clubs many teams are formed or broken up during Aug whether you have attended tryouts or are registered etc.
BC Tigers have been recruiting hard during July & Aug
eTky1WngJbFygX0TWELAxl64BV_7AFPDi9yJVFzB-JVaFxWhyX83bVii53hji0ZDKGja-uTOHbik6Tss8KPDSooGY2yGz0PobsBae4D9ZzCf=s0-d-e1-ft
:(

The governing bodies & leages need to put rules in place to stop poaching [official or unofficial] . The deadline to enter teams into 5 Dist leage should be around June 1 .
Any new teams formed after that should be checked out to see if they have taken players from other teams .

rich

Aug 20, 2015
In my opinion:

If your roster is full -
Keep player 1.
Have player 2 train with you (or an appropriate higher level team), but play games at house. Call that player up for a handful of games. Get to know the player for next year.
If you have a spot on your roster - keep them both. Illness, injury, other things will keep players out of your lineup.

Not fair to drop a kid that attended evals, and has been busting a gut at every team event.

Admin

Administrator
Feb 23, 2015
Doesn't this kinda conflict though with supposed pathways and 'producing' higher level players?

I get the fairness angle from player 1 POV but what about player 2?

easoccer

Established Member
Aug 27, 2015
Doesn't this kinda conflict though with supposed pathways and 'producing' higher level players?

If you can have a roster of 12. Select 10. Clearly assign others to a streaming team. Call up when needed, but no promises should be made. Sort out the roster at next evals.

Imho, any player that wants to be a select player should make every effort to be at evals. I know some coaches have favorites or their eye on a player or two, but where is the integrity if players can sidestep the process?

rich

Aug 20, 2015

Each situation likely has to be handled differently. There could be a kid move into the area over the summer, who missed evals. Put the kid on a house roster. Have technical staff evaluate, both with house team and with rep / development teams. Figure out what is best for the player, and the existing players, for that one year.

Like @easoccer mentioned - don't fill up your rep roster. Leave room for a late registrant if he/she is head and shoulders above the house level. If the kid just didn't come to evals - well...sorry kid, call you up a few times, but see you at evals next year.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Back