Best Academy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shawn, Dec 5, 2015.

1. RCharlesworth

RCharlesworth Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We are in South Surrey but are able travel to nearby communities if it allowed for the opportunity to train, Delta, Surrey, Langley, Richmond, New West

2. Admin

Admin Administrator

Ratings:
    +94 / 2
    Jeff Clarke (Surrey United TD) has a goalkeeper coach helping with academies and camps - not sure if one-on-one time is available but I can try and see if I can get you a direct contact to him if you are interested to take it from there.

Let me know and I'll see what I can find.

3. RCharlesworth

RCharlesworth Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you can facilitate direct contact that would be great and yes, we will go from there. Thanks

4. JDFMike

JDFMike Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    the main coaches, from my understanding, are B license minimum. our academy is U12 and below, so nobody is being signed and even higher age groups i highly doubt would be signed from a tournament they put on...generally those players would be scouted at the HPL level for residency.

if the academy has any standards generally the players are going to be, for the most part, at a higher baseline of skills than club soccer. that doesn't diminish the fact there are comparable players outside the academy system within clubs, it just means, in theory, that academy players (again, dependent on the standards - coaching staff, players involved skills levels and mindset) have a higher baseline of technical/tactical proficiency than your typical club player and within the academy system, given the dynamics, should acquire knowledge and proficiency at a more rapid pace.

5. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    That would be my assumption also.

6. RaeJaxx

RaeJaxx New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My daughter has been going to the Whitecaps Academy for a couple of years now. The coaching has been great and they do put kids within skill level groups. She has made some new friends, has fun and her skillset has greatly improved. :)

7. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    Yes, I understand those practices have a heavy focus on individual technique - a kid on my team has been going (not sure how long) and his individual technique with the ball is superb, surely helped by the Whitecaps coaching (and his constantly having a ball at his feet!). The teams from Whitecaps academy I've played/seen in a tournament all had high individual skill level (though they were basically hand-picked all-star teams lol).

8. easoccer

easoccer Established Member

Ratings:
    +267 / 2
    Do we have any quality academies in Surrey?

9. Nate

Nate Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I don't know what defines as quality but in the interest of this thread, there is now a new league for just Academies. Noticed there is at least one academy listed to be in Surrey.
    BCASL

10. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    Potentially this is very cool. I find it odd TSS isn't involved.

How can Paul Bahia have an academy when he's a TD!? How can he possibly have the time? Does he not act in a TD role April-June each year? This screams conflict of interest.

11. easoccer

Ratings:
    +267 / 2
    His academy is year round. I get so many emails.

12. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    I know how busy my TD is in a much smaller club. I can't see how a TD at a club like Surrey FC could possibly have the time to run an academy and still provide the care and attention the players of his club require. Surely he's attending training every night, and observing games on weekends during the league season? Every TD of course gets days off....but during the league season I imagine those are difficult to manage.

BEST has other coaches. So maybe he isn't hands-on during the season.

I still see a conflict of interest here. It's clear as day. Everything may well be completely above board. I assume that it is. But perception means a lot...

13. easoccer

Ratings:
    +267 / 2
    He obviously has an agreement with sfc. And obviously its meant to supplement the sfc offerings but if I were running a club, Id definately want my td to have complete focus on my club.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree For Most Part Agree For Most Part x 1
    • List
  14. southsloper

southsloper Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Could it be that BCASL isn't a sanctioned by BCSA league? Although TSS has had (may still be in litigation?) differences concerning getting it's academy teams "access to" (play in) BC SPL or other leagues, TSS remains an associate member of BCSA.

(disclosure: my u14 daughter attends TSS)

15. Admin

Admin Administrator

Ratings:
    +94 / 2
    You guys can't really take that "league" seriously can you?

Poke around that website and you'll see what I mean :)

16. southsloper

southsloper Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Yes, not impressive by my neophyte eye. I checked the BCASL website/schedule, their FB page, checked the member Academy websites, got a pretty good look at the "lay of the land" I'd say. I would be wary based on what I saw :)

I am familiar marginally, with Premier - my youngest attended a summer camp in Port Moody. A teammate'smom had invited my daughter to go. Camp seemed OK and a parent we talked to was quite positive and said many of the boys at the camp were also full-time academy with Premier. We noticed the girls tended to get the short end of the stick attention-wise at this camp though. That was a few years back, and I see he's trying to put together a Girls Elite academy this year. Seems like a bona fide youth academy.

Of remaining lower mainland camps, FCBEscola (affiliated with FC Barcelona?) seems to be a "brand name", strong in Ontario and a newcomer trying to get established in Vancouver (around since last year or so?). My older girl & teammate are going to a FREE (normally pre-reg with $100 deposit) tryout camp, originally Saturday afternoon at Fortius in Burnaby, but moved back a couple of weeks because of snow closures). [Off-topic, I saw a Juventus branded camp advertised to take place at Fortius too. My girls & their friends have done Roman Tulis spring break camp at Fortius].

Of the rest of the BCASL academies, I've seen anecdotal positive posts about Faly & BEST (but see other discussion regarding owner). No info about any of the others but scan their listed websites, schedules, and league team lists show a preponderance of U10/U11 teams, and many of the academies only list a couple of teams for younger <U9 or so. A few have older teams listed, but not many. Some divisions list NO or a single team. Notably, the 2 Soccaskool profiles website URLs are dead links.

Caveat Emptor.

17. Nate

Nate Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    How serious one takes it is another story. I just see it as an improvement that academies are finally trying to structure something more than ad-hoc friendlies. Anything to get the kids more game time is a good thing IMHO.

Also the academies that I've come across seem to push a certain approach, it would be good to have a bit of street cred to play for.

18. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    As would I, especially such a large club.

19. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    It's gotta start somewhere - just like Cascadia. Definitely didn't hear flattering things about it's first year.

20. TKBC

TKBC Established Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 7
    Exactly.